Friday, January 14, 2011

"RIP Ginger" GG

Good-Bye, My Friend 

Oh, Ginger, do you recall,
When you made this house your home?
You were just a ball of fluff,
Not even halfway grown,

You stumbled when you learned to walk,
It was hard to steer four legs;
you learned to sit, and stay, and come,
And, of course, you learned to beg.

You loved those walks we used to take, 
you never left my side;
And if I got my car keys out,
You were ready for a ride.

You sensed when I was happy,
Or was feeling kind of low;
You'd rub up against my knee,
You always seemed to know.

You'd fetch a ball or get a toy,
Without even being told;
But, was you face crestfallen,
If I felt the need to scold.

You found the outside world exciting,
Do you remember your first snow?
You'd not come back inside the house,
Because you loved it so.

Going to the vets for shots,
I guess was your greatest fear:
You seemed to know each scheduled date,
Though you went but once a year.

I never once felt lonely,
As long as you were here;
You were at my feet or at my side,
You constantly were near.

Oh, I am going to miss you,
No question about that;
But, Ginger, for your pain to go,
I had to send you back.

You're going back to heaven now,
From whence long ago you came;
You'll be welcomed back by God, Himself,
Who knows your doggy- name.

I think there's blue hand balls up in heaven,
And rubber, squeaky toys;
And angels who will play with you,
And little girls and boys.

But, there won't be any thunderstorms,
And no vets with shots up there;
You won't even need a leash,
You'll run freely in God's air.

And when my time on earth is done,
And at heaven's gate I'm near,
I don't want any harps or horns,
Just... happy barks to hear.

So, see you later, Ginger,
I'm glad you're now pain-free;
And I'm glad you're sitting next to Jesus,
Now... you wait right there for me.

     
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, James. I'm so sorry. That was lovely. A big sloppy doggy hug from me.

    Elodie

    ReplyDelete